A Synology camera is a great way to keep an eye on your home or business’s property. Whether you are at work, away from the office, or just want peace of mind while out of town you can use IP cameras. Surveillance cameras can be a simple solution to help protect against theft and vandalism. To make sure that you get started with your camera in no time flat, we have put together these quick steps so that it will connect smoothly and easily!
Synology’s Surveillance Station is a powerful surveillance application that can monitor your home or office in HD. If you are one of those who do not have any idea on how to connect and configure Synology Cameras then you are at the right place. This blog post will show you how to connect your Synology camera and what techniques are available for syncing the device with Surveillance Station.
Different Methods of Connecting Synology Cameras
There are many different technologies and methods available for connecting a Synology Camera. These methods are as follows:
- Wired connection
- Wireless connection
- Mobile connection
- USB Port
- Internet and Ethernet
In the remaining post, we will go through each of these methods. These different technologies will help you gain an in-depth idea of connecting Synology Cameras.
Connect Synology Camera Manually
Synology Camera is an internet-enabled security camera that can be used to monitor your home or office. With Synology surveillance station, you can connect your cameras and watch live video feeds from any device with a network connection – even when you’re not at home or work! How do I get started?
Things required for connecting the camera:
- A Synology NAS with a camera license and at least one installed camera.
- The latest version of the Surveillance Station software is installed on your Synology NAS (desktop app).
- An active internet connection that won’t be disrupted by frequent data transfers from live video streaming.
After gathering the necessary requirements you just have to the steps mentioned below. The steps are pretty straightforward.
Steps to follow to connect the camera:
- If you have a DS-214+, you can quickly start by plugging the power cable into an outlet.
- Then you have to press the button in front of it that says “Power.”
- Next, press the top button on your NAS’s keyboard twice. As a result, it will prompt you to type in a username and password.
- Now enter your username and password. The system requires this to verify your identity.
- After you have successfully logged in, click on “Control Panel.” Then scroll down until you see the camera icon labeled “Synology Camera.”
- Clicking it will take you to a page with three different options: monitor mode, remote view modes, and recording settings. For any button besides monitor mode, please refer to Synology’s webpage for more information.
- Monitor mode displays live video feeds from the camera in real-time. You can also use it to remotely control your Synology Camera via a web browser or mobile app. At the same time, remote view modes let you connect and watch videos on any device without having to be at home, as long as there is an internet connection on the device connecting to the camera. Recording settings allow you to adjust whether the cameras are recording continuously or only when motion and sound activity are detected.
Steps to follow to configure the camera:
After you are done installing the camera properly, you need to configure it. After that the Synology Camera lets you monitor your surveillance footage from anywhere with a connected device (computer, tablet, or smartphone). So follow these steps below to configure.
- Install the latest version of Surveillance Station on your NAS.
- Connect to the camera’s wireless network and set up an account in Synology Camera. From there, you can manage cameras settings and add extra cameras.
- Make sure to assign a specific IP address for the camera in your surveillance setup. How do I find that? It’s either on the back of the device, or you’ll see it listed when you go through initial configuration steps with Surveillance Station, which will list all detected devices within range.
- Next, you have to get an IP address for the camera. By following these steps, you can do so: Press Settings > Network ID and select a static IP from the list of available options, then enter in your new network information (IP Address, DNS Server).
- Now you have to configure this address on your Synology NAS. Here’s how you do this: On DiskStation Manager, go to Control Panel > Network > Network ID and select a static IP from the list of available options, then enter in your new network information (IP Address, DNS Server).
- You can also change advanced settings for the camera, such as DHCP mode and LAN settings.
Connect a Synology Camera via a Wired Connection
This is the most common method. Just plug the camera in and follow these steps below:
- Firstly you have to connect one end of a network cable (Ethernet) from the Synology Surveillance Station. You will find the cable on the LAN port on the back panel.
- Connect that cable to an available port on a router or hub.
- Then join the other end of that same Ethernet cable into any free port on the camera’s back panel.
Connect A Synology Camera via Wireless Connection
You will need to set up your wireless network with the Synology Surveillance Station. Wireless connections are easily accessible.
- In most cases, you only need to turn on your camera and place it in an open space with a good Wi-Fi signal. You must place the camera near the router. It needs to be adjacent to the router or hub, as it cannot work wirelessly over a long distance. The minimum range is anywhere from around 20ft (approximately six meters). Besides that, you have to make sure there are no obstacles in between.
- Then enable SSID Broadcast from the Camera Configuration > Network tab of Surveillance Station.
- After that, you will have to find the camera’s SSID from the list of Wi-Fi networks on your phone or tablet and connect to it.
- Next, you have to input your Wi-Fi password to complete the process.
Connect A Synology Camera via USB
Connect the data cable (USB) from the front of the camera into a free port on the back panel. There is only one slot for USB input, and it’s designated as “Data” or “Video Output.” The video cannot be output through a USB connection.
Connect A Synology Camera via Ethernet?
This connection will be used for transferring video data and audio and configuring remote access settings. You can connect your camera via Ethernet. Connect the network cable (Ethernet) from a free port on the back panel of the DSM-229 surveillance station into an open LAN or Internet jack.
Connect a Synology Camera via the Internet?
You need to connect a modem or router with an Ethernet cable into the LAN slot. Now you have to plug it into a free port on the back of the DS-207+. Afterward, you have to connect the other end to either a wireless or wired network. Additionally, you have to make sure that the wired or wireless network is connected to the Internet.
There is an alternative method and it is as follows:
You can also set up the IP address of a DNS server on the Surveillance Station and then configure it with internet access. You will need to do this for multiple devices to work wirelessly at any given time. This is an ideal solution when you are away from your home and want to check the live video on a smartphone.
Frequently Asked Question
How to configure the Synology cloud camera?
Connect your Synology surveillance station with the Internet. The connecting camera is as easy as connecting any other device on your network because of its built-in dual-band Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n) and Ethernet.
How to view the Synology camera on a desktop?
Open your browser of choice and go to mysynologycamera.com with your credentials. Download software from synolabware for your device (PC, Mac). This will allow you to monitor live feed from anywhere in the world using your desktop, laptop, or any device with an internet connection.
How to view the Synology camera on a mobile?
Download app from mysynolabware.com for Android and Apple devices. Then follow the necessary steps and fulfill the additional requirements which you can easily configure. Following the steps will help you to view the Synology Camera on the mobile.
How to set up Synology Camera as a DVR?
Connect the surveillance station’s Ethernet port to your DVR cable and power the DVR.
How to set up Synology Camera as a NAS?
Connect the surveillance station’s Ethernet port to your PC or laptop via network cable and then connect the camera with an Ethernet cable to Surveillance Station.
How do I get alerts?
Synolabware software can be set up so that you receive notifications on your desktop, laptop, or any device with an internet connection when the camera detects motion.
How do I share my Synology camera?
Set up a surveillance station on a local network so that other devices can access it. This way, other people can monitor live feed from anywhere globally using laptops, desktops, or mobile devices.
How can I turn off notifications?
You might want to prevent notifications from showing up on your desktop, laptop, or any device with an internet connection when the camera detects motion. You can easily do so by going into “Settings” and unchecking “Sending email notifications.”
How do I know if the camera is connected correctly?
If you have set up a static IP for your device, go to Control Panel > Network > Connected Devices and look at the row that corresponds with your Synology NAS.
If you need help connecting your Synology camera, we’ve got the steps for you. We have also shown you how to pair this with other devices like an iPhone or Android phone so that it all works together seamlessly and easily!
So if you liked what I had to say here in today’s blog post then be sure to check out more of our posts on different ways to use technology in photography by following us on social media. If you have any additional queries kindly leave them down below. We will surely get back to you as soon as possible.